r Wicked Things Horror Blog: The Resurrected - 1991 Lovecraft Adaptation Flick

Saturday, December 28, 2013

The Resurrected - 1991 Lovecraft Adaptation Flick

The Resurrected (Shatterbrain), not to be confused with "The Re-animator", which is based on the H.P. Lovecraft's Story, "Herbert West: Re-animator", is based on Lovecraft's other short story, which has a similar theme, "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward".  In my youth, I sometimes confused the two and melded them together, although the two films differ entirely in tone and obviously in context.


The Resurrected was released directly to video in 1991 and I remember renting it on VHS quite fondly as a matter of fact.  It stars Chris Sarandon (the vampire from the original Fright Night), as both Charles Dexter Ward and his "evil twin ancestor", Joseph Curwen.



My brother's name is Joseph, and he too can be evil, although we look nothing alike so I cannot say he is my evil twin, just Evil Sibling II, in which I refer to him and he refers to me as Sibling I.  Our parents are referred to as "the units" as in "the parental units".  I will say that my brother has way better dental hygiene than this guy's evil twin.

In the interest of time and further clarity, I will quote Wikipedia to describe the basic premise of the film.

" Claire Ward hires private investigator, Terry, to look into the increasingly bizarre activities of her husband, Charles Dexter Ward as he has become obsessed with the occult practices of necromancy once practiced by his ancestor, Joseph Curwen.  As the investigators dig deeper, they discover that Ward is performing a series of grisly experiments in an effort to actually resurrect his long-dead relative Curwen.".

Check out the trailer below, weee hawww!

This is another one that's hard to find as it went straight to video when it was released.



You can obtain a copy of 
if you still have a VCR. 

 

is also available here on DVD, but its kinda pricy due to its rarity. 


If you haven't had the joy of reading the H.P. Lovecraft book on which this flick is loosely based, its called,
"The Case of Charles Dexter Ward",
and can be obtained for $.99 by clicking on the image below!



You can also rent The Resurrected on VUDU for $2.99 here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

`

`